It’s common knowledge that piracy is a constant matter of concern for everyone who sells digital content, right? With that in mind, we have created our system of protection for PDF and EPUB files, based on a concept called DRM Social.
What is DRM Social?
It’s a very interesting protection system for PDF and ePUB files that stamps the data from the buyer on the pages of the digital material. In Hotmart’s case, the information stamped on every page of the product is the buyer’s name and email address.
This is an efficient protection against piracy, as no one wants to be identified as a pirate, nor have their personal data all over the Internet. In this scenario, an ill-intentioned buyer who chooses to distribute material would also necessarily be distributing their own personal data.
What are DRM Social’s advantages?
In traditional DRM mechanisms, the buyers are, in a way, penalized, as they end up having their product limited by the DRM system itself. It may also restrict the transfer of the product from one device to another.
It’s our understanding that Traditional Social DRM is not the best option for our buyers. After all, it penalizes the legitimate buyer more than the actual pirate.
Therefore, the tool allows the buyer to use their material freely and to transfer them to any devices they’d like, no limitation whatsoever. That way, we can protect the material while offering a good experience to buyers.
To get to the ebook protection (Social DRM), follow the steps below:
1. Access your Hotmart account at https://www.hotmart.com/login
2. Click on Tools from the side menu
3. Click on Protection for ebooks (Social DRM)
4. Select the product and click on Continue
5. On this screen, enable the stamping of Social DRM by clicking on Yes to make the adjustments. Set up the Stamping (DRM) according to your preferences and click on Save on the bottom of the page to save the settings.
6. Set the DRM according to your preferences
You can alter: Font size(from 9 to 14), color (red, black, blue, grey, yellow, green, blue, pink) and choose the option “enable in PDF and ePUB”.
7. Click on Save at the bottom of the page to save the chosen settings.
That being done, whenever the buyer downloads the file through Hotmart, the platform will apply the settings in ebook Protection automatically.
You may also password-protect your file, and allow the buyer, if you wish to, print or copy the text of the product.
If you have any further questions about this matter, please contact our Support with the subject eBook Protection. Our staff will be ready to help you out.